Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Decorate and How Much?

Well, it is time to start thinking about decorating for Christmas. Here at our office, the Christmas decorations are up as of today, thanks to Patricia and Kristy (and Faye for all her help as ususal)! It is so beautiful.

Being a Martha by nature and wishing I was a Mary, I can't decide how much I want to decorate at home. Yes, I want my home to look like the Christmas Season, but I don't want to stress and feel like I "have to" decorate a certain way. My son will be 17 in a week and could care less about a Christmas tree. If I put one up, I have to re-arrange my living room and then find a place to put the furniture that won't fit for the tree. Our home is small, but cozy and wonderful!

I've decided that the main thing is that we enjoy the holiday and the reason for the season. I'm going to decorate my mantel and the staircase going upstairs and put out our loved Willow Tree Nativity Set. Of course our stockings will hang on the fireplace! As of now, I"m not planning on putting up our tree. Santa will be leaving mostly money for Davie and of course he always leaves things in our stockings, which to me is the best!

My sister decorated her home as I've just described and it was beautiful, but simple. Sometimes simple is better and keeps the stress at a minimal. With so many of us working and going here and there, why not keep it simple. As long as you are happy and not stressed, everyone else will be happy as well. Now if you do have little ones in the home, you do need a tree....they won't understand not having a tree for Santa to leave the gifts under. If you do have to put up a tree, keep the rest of your home decorated in a simple fashion.

I think this year we all have more stress than normal due to the economy and trying to make ends meet. Cut back on gift giving and keep your life and home simple this Christmas. You will be glad you did. Focus on God and what you are thankful for and what you have been blessed with. It doesn't matter how your neighbor goes all out, or your family member....they are probably pulling their hair out anyway!

Stop and think how to keep your sanity this holiday season and stick tothe plan you choose. If you choose to go all out, be prepared to a lot of time and energy spent doing just that. Me, I'm gonig to choose more of a Mary approach and focus on my family and the Lord.

Have a wonderful holiday season and remember, you can make it as crazy and stressed as you would like. It is our choice!

2 comments:

Philip said...

those are some great insights on christmas. i love the simplicity of christmas and DeAnne and i try very hard to keep it simple.

Jennifer said...

Angela, I totally agree with you. I decorated yesterday and have downsized a lot. Its just not worth the hassle. I mean who really sees my house anyway? I put our our favorites (nativity set, tree, snow globes) and left the rest in the box. I'm sure your house is beautiful with or without the tree and I hope you enjoy this Christmas holiday season without as much stress! I know I am going for that approach this year!